New Relicensure Requirements Now in Effect
New Requirements as of 2012.
Effective Student Use of Technology
Beginning with those who will need to renew in 2012, licensed teachers and staff will need to include a 5th mandatory requirement. You will need to include training or activities on how to integrate technology effectively with student learning to increase engagement and student achievement. Note the emphasis on integration and involving students. Training in administrative areas such as Infinite Campus does not count, but training with ActivBoards, using LCD projectors, streaming video, Study Island, Type to Learn, using Destiny for online research, etc. will count.
School personnel who do not provide direct instruction to students are exempt from Effective Student Use of Technology requirement. This may include:
- Licensed services personnel, such as school social workers, school psychologists, counselors, speech-language pathologists, and school nurses, who do not have a classroom endorsement to teach.
All licensed teaching staff will need to include a reflection statement about how you have personally used professional training in their mandatory areas to improve your teaching/work with students. The reflection should include a self-assessment of your professional growth as a teacher. Also include the effect professional training has had on student performance in your classroom. The written reflection must include at least one of the following types of evidence:
- Support for student learning.
- Use of best practices techniques and their application to student learning.
- Collaborative work with collegues that includes examples of collegiality, such as PLC groups or collaborative staff development programs.
- Continual professional development, either job embedded or formal training including coursework.
As per the state board of education, licensed staff may document and use up to 5 hours spent on writing the reflection statement towards renewal of their license(s).
The following staff are exempt from reflection paper requirement:
- Classroom teachers who have not taught for any part of the five-year renewal period prior to the current license renewal.
- Licensed school administrators, including principals, who have not taught at any time during the five-year renewal period.
- Licensed services personnel, such as school social workers, school psychologists, counselors, speech-language pathologists, and school nurses, who have not taught at any time during the five-year renewal period.